Skip to content
Junge Menschen vor Parlament
© Westend61
International Students​

From Education to Career

We are happy to assist you pursuing your career in Austria as a Graduate and accompany you on entering the Austrian labour market smoothly and free of charge.

Did you know...

according to the IMD World Competitive Ranking 2022

...that Austria has one of the best health systems in the world?​

STUDY - Why Austria?

  • There is no “numerus clausus” system which allows or denies students access to higher education on the basis of the final grades achieved in school. Instead, there are admission tests for many fields of study. Get in touch with the university of your choice.
  • As an EU member state, Austria is embedded in the European and international university landscape. For this reason, most university degrees follow the Bachelor - Master - PhD degree structure. Most universities have numerous partner universities abroad in both Europe and globally. A semester abroad is perfectly normal for many students in Austria. Find more advantages for living in Austria here.
  • Tuition fees for Austrian and European students (EU/EEA and Swiss nationals) are only charged for universities of applied sciences, private universities and if the stipulated duration of the studies is not met. Third Country Nationals have to pay a tuition fee of 726,72 Euro per semester. Every student has to pay 21,20 Euro per semester for the Austrian Student Union (ÖH). 
  • There are many funding possibilities and scholarships available. Find a possible scholarship for you here. The OeAD - Austrian Agency for Education and Internationalisation (“OeAD - Österreichische Agentur für Bildung und Internationalisierung") as a public institutions will help you with any information on studying in Austria.
Copyright: © Westend61 / Peter Scholl (top) / © Westend61 / Zeljko Dangubic (bottom)

Austria is like a cheeky teenager, full of charm, diligence and conviviality.

Annie US-American, Alumni of Lauder Business School
Annie Bailey
© Kevin Bailey
Annie Bailey
© Kevin Bailey

STUDY - Study and Work in Austria

Get here all the information on studying and working in Austria.

  1. 01

    Anything you need to know on studying in Austria, being a researcher in Austria or work as an artist in Austria you can find here and on the websites of the OeAD (Austria's Agency for Education and Internationalisation). Visit "Study in Austria" and find your preferred studies in If you are looking for a scholarship to study in Austria, use the database The OeAD provides also the right service for any legal question you have on studying in Austria. Check it out here

  2. 02

    As an EU or EEA citizen, you have free access to the Austrian labour market before, during or after your studies are finished. However, it is important to get a so-called Registration Certificate (“Anmeldebescheinigung”). Read more
    Check out our FAQs on the topic

  3. 03

    If you are coming from a third country, are studying at an Austrian university and would like to work up to 20 hours per week with a work permit, AMS checks if you have a valid Residence Permit Student and whether they have received all the required documents from your employer. You also require a work permit or German "Beschäftigungsbewilligung" even if you are only engaged in marginal employment (“geringfügig”).

    If you are a third country citizen, are studying at an Austrian university and would like to work more than 20 hours per week with a work permit, AMS may additionally carry out a special procedure called labour market test (“Ersatzkraftverfahren”) to help determine if there are equally qualified Austrians currently registered as unemployed and who could potentially do the job.

    Please be aware that your Residence Permit Student depends on your successful studies and work should not get in the way of you finishing your studies.

    Check out our FAQs on the topic

  4. 04

    As an EU/EEA citizen, you have free access to the Austrian labour market. Please make sure you are registered in Austria, having a home address and bank account for your employer to know.

    As a third country citizen, it depends if your studies require doing a traineeship or if you want to do one on your own? Please be aware, that if a traineeship is necessary to complement your university studies, you do not need a work permit or German "Beschäftigungsbewilligung". However, it is important that your university confirms that the internship will be credited to your studies. Learn more here.

    Do you want to do an Erasmus+ semester or Erasmus+ traineeship abroad while studying in Austria, you can find everything there is to know on the website of the Austrian Agency for Internationalisation and Education (OeAD) or your respective university. Visit our international partner organisations AIESEC and IAESTE​.

Wienblick Prater
© Cavan Images / Westend61
Copyright: © Markus Schieder / (top) / © Cavan Images / Westend61 (bottom)

Did you know...

Most international students studying in Austria come from Germany, Italy, Iran, Serbia, Syria and India.

...that many students currently registered at Austrian universities come from various countries?

START - How to start your career

We help you with everything you need to know on entering the Austrian job market as an EU/EEA citizen or third country citizen.

  1. 01

    Search for your dream job with us! With jobs in companies in all of Austria, our ABA job platform offers you German and English speaking jobs in various branches and fields. If you have not yet successfully concluded your studies in Austria or if you graduated a long time ago, then follow first-hand information on our Immigration Guide.

  2. 02

    Now the challenge is to impress your future employer with your application. The way you prepare the application documents is one of the decisive factors determining whether or not you will be invited to personally introduce yourself and come to a job interview at the company. In Austria, it is custom to write a CV and attach a professional photo in it as well as write a motivational letter. The motivational letter should clearly state your motivation for the job and how your qualifications fit the job advert. Find more on applying for a job in our blog.

  3. 03

    EEU/EEA citizens enjoy visa free travel to and from Austria. You also don't require a work permit. However, you have to apply for a Registration Certificate ("Anmeldebescheinigung") at the authority in the federal Austrian state you work and live in. Find out more here.

  4. 04

    As a first step, you can extend your Residence Permit Student for one more year after finishing your studies. During this year you can search for a job in Austria and are also allowed to continue working (independently) with a contract for work and labour (“Werkvertrag”) or with a work permit or German "Beschäftigungsbewilligung" (as a salaried employee).

    If you receive a job offer within this one year, the Red-White-Red – Card for Graduates (“Rot-Weiß-Rot – Karte für StudienabsolventInnen”) might be the best solution for you. Get in touch with us, if you have any further question.

Neue Donau Ubahn Brücke
Wien Innenstadt junge Personen
Copyright: © Volker Preusser / mauritius images (top) / © Westend61 (bottom)

I always wanted to live in Austria since I was a child. And I made this dream come true.

Kevin US-American, Coordinator at the FH Salzburg
Kevin Bailey
© Kevin Bailey
Kevin Bailey
© Kevin Bailey

STAY - how to stay in Austria​

We offer you a future perspective on staying and living in Austria, from setting up residence, renting an appartement to bringing or starting your own family.  

  1. 01

    We will answer your questions on what salary you can expect according to your educational background, experiences and job description. Write us an email and we will check it for you.

  2. 02

    Do you have questions on living in Austria, for example which authority you have to go to, how the health system works or what expenses there are? Download our Essential Guide on Living and Working Austria free-of charge.

  3. 03

    We help you with any questions regarding founding your own business or startup. Our department INVEST in AUSTRIA is responsible for helping international founders free-of-charge with aspects of finance, possiblities of investment and legal information.

  4. 04

    ABA is part of many job and career fairs in all of Austria. We offer webinars, individual consultation and work with many international partners as well as your university. Check our event calendar and search for us at the next event. Learn more

Familie mit Kinderwagen
Junges Paar in Wien
Copyright: © Maskot / Westend61 (top) / © Westend61 (bottom)

Did you know...

the Red-White-Red Card for Graduates applies to Third Country nationals that have graduated from an Austrian university in the last 12 month and found a job offer applicable to their studies. Get more information here!

...that there exists a special work and residence permit for international students who graduate from an Austrian university?

Frequently Asked Questions

We simply make it easy

WORK in AUSTRIA is the point of contact for specialists who would like to work in Austria as well as for companies looking for suitable specialists. We advise you free of charge.

Get in touch

Back to main navigation
Cookies & Privacy

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. Find out more in our Privacy Statement .