Skip to content
Studierende © Maskot / Westend61
  • How to find a job
  • Working in Austria

FAQs - "I would like to work during my studies"

Are you a student from an EU/EEA country or a Third Country and studying at a university in Austria? Would you like to receive more information about working in Austria during your studies and/or after graduation? Do you find it difficult to find reliable information about what you need to do to stay and work in Austria? Then just click through the questions and see if you can find the answer here in our FAQs. 

  1. 01

    EU/EEA citizens have free access to the labor market in Austria and can also work alongside their studies without further ado. However, EU/EEA citizens should note that they should register their residence in Austria within three days and apply for a so called Registration Certificate ("Anmeldebescheinigung") within four months of entry.


  2. 02

    There is a special residence permit for students from a third country, the so-called Residence Permit - Student ("Aufenthaltsbewilligung Student"). However, if your personal situation differs from that of other students, e.g. if you are married to an EU/EEA/Swiss citizen living in Austria or if you have already been living in Austria for several years and therefore already hold another residence permit, you do not necessarily have to apply for the Residence Permit - Student. It all depends on your individual situation! 

  3. 03

    If you meet the requirements for the Residence Permit - Student ("Aufenthaltsbewilligung Student"), you can extend it as long as you study in Austria. Please note, however, that the requirements include many factors, e.g., at least 16 ECTS credits per year as proof of academic success, sufficient financial means, housing, health insurance, etc. You can extend the residence permit student even after graduation for one year to look for a job. In this case, please attach your university diploma to the application instead of the proof of study success.

  4. 04

    This might be possible. However, it depends on your individual situation! 

    If you are required to complete a mandatory internship as part of your studies, your employer must notify the AMS of the internship at least 3 weeks prior to the start of employment. The employer should submit documents from your university/university of Applied Sciences stating that a compulsory internship is required. The AMS issues a so-called "confirmation of notification" ("Anzeigebestätigung"), on the basis of which you can complete your internship.

    If you are looking for work alongside your studies, you can apply for any full or part-time job. However, keep in mind that your Residence Permit - Student is conditional upon your successful completion of your studies and earning at least 16 ECTS credits per year. If the job is 20 hours/week or less, your employer must apply for a work permit ("Beschäftigungsbewilligung") for you, which the AMS usually issues after about 4-6 weeks. If the job is more than 20 hours/week, your employer must also apply for a work permit ("Beschäftigungsbewilligung") for you, but unlike jobs up to 20 hours/week, the AMS may conduct a labor market test ("Ersatzkraftverfahren") to see if an equally qualified person registered as unemployed with the AMS can be placed instead of you. Please note that this may take several weeks and may lead to a negative decision.

  5. 05

    As with any other employment, your employer must apply for and receive a work permit (“Beschäftigungsbewilligung”) before you can start working. This also applies to marginal employment! If you as a holder of a Residence Permit - Student want to take up a marginal employment that is less than 20 hours/week, the AMS is not allowed to carry out a labour market test and will usually issue the work permit ("Beschäftigungsbewilligung") after approximately 4-6 weeks.

  1. 06

    The same rules for extension apply to all residence permits in Austria: You must submit your application for extension in the three months BEFORE your current residence permit expires at the resonsible Immigration Authority. Which Immigration Authority is responsible for you, depends on your place of residence in Austria.  

    Are you about to complete your studies or have you already completed your studies but not yet found a job? Does your Residence Permit - Student expire in the next three months? No need to worry! You have the possibility to extend your Residence Permit - Student for another year in order to find a job in Austria.  

    Have you completed your studies and found a job? Or does your current employer wants to hire you full-time after you graduate? In these cases, you and your employer can apply for the so-called Red-White-Red - Card for Graduates. Just send us an e-mail, we can help you and your employer, e.g. by telling you what documents are required, what the schedule looks like, etc.: [email protected]

  2. 07

    If you have completed your studies and have not yet found a job, you can extend your Residence Permit - Student for another year in order to find a job. During this year, you can (continue to) work as a holder of a Residence permit - Student with a work permit as you did during your studies. If you have received a full-time job offer after graduation that corresponds to the educational level of academics, you can contact us and we will be happy to assist you and your future employer in preparing the application for a Red-White-Red - Card for Graduates.


  3. 08

    This depends on your university in Austria, the country in which you would like to complete the Erasmus+ internship/semester abroad and the duration of your planned stay abroad. You may need an additional (residence and work) permit in the country where you would like to study/work. Please clarify all relevant details with the International Office of your Austrian university and the host university abroad and, if applicable, with the company where you would like to work. For more information, please visit the website of the Austrian Agency for Education and Internationalization (OeAD).

  4. 09

    Your employer must notify AMS (Austrian Public Employment Service) of this internship at least 3 weeks before the start of employment. The AMS will issue a so-called "notification confirmation" within two weeks.

  5. 10

    There are different options here, depending on your exact situation:

    First, your employer can apply for a work permit ("Beschäftigungsbewilligung") for you: if you want to complete a part-time internship/traineeship (up to 20 hours per week) and have a Residence Permit - Student, the AMS is not allowed to conduct a labor market test (“Ersatzkraftverfahren”). If you want to do a full-time internship/traineeship, the AMS may conduct a labor market test and your potential employer will only receive a work permit ("Beschäftigungsbewilligung") for you if the AMS cannot provide the company with equally qualified workers who are currently registered as job seekers.

    Second, if the internship/traineeship is part of your studies and your university issues a confirmation that the internship/traineeship is study-related and necessary to finish your studies, the employer may receive a so-called confirmation of notification ("Anzeigebestätigung"), which allows you to do your employment.

    Third, if you have already completed your studies and have an offer for a one-year full-time internship that corresponds to the educational level of graduates, it might be an option to apply for a Red-White-Red - Card for Graduates.  

    Please contact us for more information on which option is best for you and your employer. 

If you have any questions,
please do not hesitate to contact us! 

Because we act on behalf of the state, our services are free of charge for companies, professionals and their families.

Inquire now

Back to main navigation
Cookies & Privacy

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. Find out more in our Privacy Statement .